Ten healthy breakfast ideas to boost energy
A balanced breakfast should provide you with a decent amount of protein (20-30 grams would be a good target) to help satisfy hunger and to support muscle health, along with some healthy carbohydrates which can provide sustained energy and fiber. Carbohydrates should include – at the very least – some fruits or vegetables; if calories allow, add some whole grains as well.
With these simple guidelines, it’s easy to put together a healthy, well-balanced breakfast. Here are 10 healthy breakfast suggestions:
Cook some fresh or frozen spinach in the microwave, top with scrambled eggs/egg
whites and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar; fresh fruit on the side
2. Protein shake made with protein powder, low fat milk or soy milk and fruit
3. Plain nonfat/low fat yogurt or cottage cheese topped with either fresh fruit and cinnamon or chopped raw vegetables and some fresh black pepper
4. Rolled oats prepared with milk or soy milk; stir in protein powder and fruit after cooking
5. Corn tortillas, heated and spread with black beans; top with grated low fat cheese and salsa; fresh fruit
6. Whole grain toast spread with avocado and topped with slices of turkey breast; fresh fruit
7. Extra-firm tofu, drained, crumbled and scrambled in a little olive oil with fresh vegetables and herbs; fresh fruit
8. Whole grain crackers spread with nonfat ricotta cheese and topped with sliced berries
9. Salmon patty on a toasted whole-grain English muffin; fresh fruit
How do you make salmon patties?
Over medium heat, heat oil in a medium skillet. Combine canned salmon, beaten egg, green onions and 1/4 cup bread crumbs. Form into patties and dust with additional bread crumbs. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
10.Leftovers: whole grains, protein and veggies make a great breakfast!
What is your favorite breakfast meal? Share your ideas for healthy, energizing morning meals!